Tuesday 30 August 2016

HOW I STARTED WEARING THE HELL I WANT TO WORK AND STOPPED BUYING 'ESSENTIALS THAT EVERY WOMAN SHOULD HAVE'


HOW I STARTED WEARING THE HELL I WANT TO WORK AND STOPPED BUYING 'ESSENTIALS THAT EVERY WOMAN SHOULD HAVE'  from www.will-work-for-coffee.blogspot.co.uk
I've been stumbling upon articles about what you should have in your wardrobe, what essentials to get for a while now., but nothing really says ME, no matter how much I want it to.

I would like to own things that would look on me like as they look like on those Instagram photos I'm addicted to browsing. Simple, effortless, amazing... and here I am, trying to get into a pair of pants that magically shrunk overnight (they were perfectly fine when I wore them yesterday!). My clothes crinkle, fade, get dirty on my way to work, you know, all the things that actually happen to clothes in real life. The Instagram reality is tempting, but also super disappointing when you find out it's not reachable.

I used to do business casual when I worked corporate. Really liked it. Delicate tops, super cute trousers, matching jewellery, all that jazz. I had the weirdest reality check when I was asked to go to the HR office for a chat one day.

Our HR lady was a really weird one. Not someone you really want to have a chat with. She was anchored in the era when Human Resources meant that people are expendable and not really important. Hire and get rid of when needed.

I was super surprised that she wants to see me, but ok, why not, let's do it. When I got there she told me that 'people are talking' (wait, what people?) and 'people can see my bra under the tops that I am wearing' (wait...what people are looking at my bra again?) and that I have to wear different clothes from now on. Awesome.

That was the most awkward thing ever.

But ok, fair enough, maybe I didn't notice something, maybe it was too much, there was a lot of maybes in my head at a time. I went shopping for more coverage and decided to look for a different favourite store. Because you never know. Maybe my clothes were all wrong.

A few days later when I walked into the office we had a meeting. A lovely short meeting where my HR lady was wearing the exact same top I was wearing last time.

The 'People Can See Your Bra' Top.

The top that I just bought and had to stash at the bottom of my wardrobe because it wasn't suitable for the office. Joy, oh joy, the HR lady was shopping at my favourite store. And apparently, she banned me from wearing clothes that she wanted to buy for herself. I was seriously not amused.

So I decided not to give a fuck and I started wearing more and more of whatever I wanted. Because after the 'we can see your bra' affair (I am totally going to call it that, it was stupid as hell) I couldn't care less. I transitioned into wearing leggings to work - best decision ever and you can actually get super cute ones if you look online.

Then came loose chiffon tops and I started loving comfort instead of fake corporate style. I ditched heavy makeup sometime along the way and I made extra time in the morning to exercise. On the plus side: I don't have to ever hand wash anything ever again All of my clothes are perfectly fine for the washing machine. I kinda buy whatever is easy to wear and looks good on me. I don't need to think if my outfit is perfect enough for everyone - it's ok for me so it will do well. I kinda love it. Life is good. Much simpler.

And next time that someone will tell me that something I'm wearing is problematic I will tell them not to look at me. Because seriously, I wear what I want.

Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. this is really bad advice. If im the boss and I run the show and have developed a culture and image id like to put forward then thats what happens. And if some little snowflake wants to wear what she wants....good on ya....do it somewhere else. Your fired....thats REALITY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, This is a wonderful blog it’s amazing and helpful, i want to see more blog to know more about other things like this because this blog gives me a lot of information, knowledge. And if you are interested or in need in IT Services like pay per click packages in singapore and other services free to visit us Azaza Biz Solutions Services and give us a call.


    ReplyDelete